Sweet and Spicy Nuts
- 2 cups mixed nuts (I used raw almonds, walnuts and cashews)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (the real stuff – table syrup contains high amounts of carcinogens)
- 1 heaping tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 of a vanilla bean (scrape seeds out)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you can handle it!)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Preheat oven to 350oF.
Bake nuts on a parchment paper lined baking sheet for 5 to 7 minutes until lightly toasted. Heat the maple syrup, honey, vanilla bean, salt and cayenne in a medium sized pot just until honey melts. Remove nuts from the oven and add to maple syrup mixture. On medium heat, cook the nut mixture until the syrup mixture reduces and really starts to thickly coat the nuts (3 to 5 minutes). Return the nuts to the baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes. Keep watch so the maple syrup mixture does not burn. Remove and let cool.